Technical Officer - Shelter / Building at Mediatrix Development Foundation
Mediatrix Development Foundation was established in 2014 as a non profit organization with the mandate to provide social support for vulnerable children, youths, women and the elderly in Cross River state, Nigeria, and to advocate for their rights and wellbeing by wife of the Governor Cross River State, Dr Linda Ayade. Ultimately, the foundation supports public delivered services in its five thematic areas (Health, Sustainable livelihood, Education and volunteering, Justice and Rights and cross cutting issues) by building and leveraging partnerships with political Agencies, government organizations and other non-profit organizations and implementing high impact and cost-effective interventions to improve population outcomes
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer - Shelter / Building
Location: Ogoja-Cross River State
Job Field: Technical
Travel: Some travelling must be expected.
Roles & Responsibility
- The purpose of the officer position is day-to-day implementation of shelter projects.
- Line management of Shelter Assistant.
- Technical supervision of daily workers and incentive labor.
- Contribute to shelter strategy development, concept notes and project proposals, budgets and provide inputs on needs and gaps
- Implement shelter activities according to plan of actions specifically in regards to technical aspects.
- Prepare and develop technical reports as required by management.
- Adhere to MDF policies, tools and handbook and guidelines as well as government rules and regulations.
- Ensure proper filing of technical documents in both hard and soft copies
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement in relation to shelter programming.
- Participate in organization learning through provision of specific community mobilization and technical analysis, lesson learned and reports.
- Actively participate in developing work plans for technical aspect of shelter activities.
- Promote the rights of refugees in line with the Advocacy strategy and DO NO HARM principle; Ensure that gender, protection, environment, HIV and other crosscutting concern are taken into context during shelter programming and are carried out at the field level by all shelter staff. Ensure that programming reflects specific needs of people.
- Collaborate with other team member to ensure project beneficiaries are provided with full package of service according to their needs.
- Organize and lead technical needs assessments, focus group discussions, contractor meeting and technical discussions with stakeholders.
- Prepare informational materials for project beneficiaries in regards to BoQs and scope of work. Develop training materials related to proper installation of materials.
- Organize and lead the supervision and monitoring contactor work, works carried out by daily/incentive labor.
- Preparation of completion certificates to facilitate payment of work done by contract/incentive workers.
- Map local host community natural material production capacity and availability.
- Consolidate site level BoQs for inclusion in procurement documents.
- Supervise and/or prepare production of site level construction drawings, BoQs and BoQ amendments by Shelter Technical Assistant.
- Responsible for ensuring the safety of workers is maintained throughout project implementation and that proper measures are taken to address safety concerns immediately.
- Conduct performance management for Shelter Technical Assistant.
- Carryout field coordination with Contractor and/or daily/incentive labor in areas of project implementation.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by line manager.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience working as a Project Officer – Technical (or Equivalent) in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Previous experience from working in complex contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Sound understanding of humanitarian principles, SPHERE standards, Build Back Better, DRR
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience
- Masters / degree in Architecture.
- At least two years’ experience in a technical responsible position in an NGO (preferred), or in a construction company
- Proven experience in developing and following through on technical implementation of construction project.
- Experience in management of technical teams carry out activities at multiple sites concurrently
- Experience in documenting progress of construction related shelter activities
- Experience in monitoring construction activities/contractors ensuring that technical standards are adhered to during implementation
- Strong experience in process driven sheltering activities with a focus on owner/HH/community driven
- Experience in developing BoQs, BoQ Amendments, Scope of Work, Technical specifications of materials and construction activities
- Ability to prioritize needs and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience in coordinating the technical aspects of implementation activities carried out by contractors and Daily/Incentive labor teams
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills including the ability to explain and present technical information.
- Basic understanding of concept note, proposal and report writing
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Word, Excel and CAD. Knowledge of Microsoft Project and other design programs is a plus.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- Flexible and creative
- Initiating action and change
- Pro-active, goal-oriented and results drive
Application Closing Date
31st December, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV in one document in word or pdf format to: email@example.com and copy: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kindly indicate position and location applied for as the subject of your mail. E.g.: "Technical Officer - Shelter / Building – Ogoja".
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- We do not offer transport nor accommodation reimbursement for applicants coming from distant locations.
- Successful candidates are required to resume immediately.
- MDF is an equal opportunity employer and gender sensitive. Consequently, females are strongly advice to apply.
- Legal Officer at Old Mutual Nigeria
- Head, Financial Advisory at ARM Life Plc
- ARM Graduate Trainee
- Primary Portfolio Manager, Senior Equity Analyst at ARM Life Plc
- Graduate Trainee Recruitment at Red Media Africa (RED)
- Mark Gray Industries Limited Graduate Trainee Recruitment
- Basic Registry and Information System in Nigeria (BRISIN) Massive Job Recruitment 2018
- Dataville Research LLC Remote Graduate Internship Recruitment 2019
- Maintenance Workshop Electrician at APM Terminals
- MHC & RTG Electrical Technician at West Africa Container Terminal (WACT)