Senior Multi-Media Journalist, Digital at the BBC World Service
The BBC, is the leading international broadcaster in Africa reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million on Radio, TV, Digital (language sites and bbcafrica.com), Mobile and Social Media. We broadcast to Africa in English, Hausa, Somali, French, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili & Arabic. We are committed to broadcasting to and from the continent in a style that meets the demands of our growing audience and as well as our language services, our presence in the region is also defined by our bureaux, special correspondents and bilingual reporters.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Multi-Media Journalist, Digital
Job Reference: BBC/TP/788768/29771
Reports to: Editor, BBC Hausa (with other dotted line reports)
Contract 1 Year fixed term
- BBC Hausa is part of the British Broadcasting Corporation, the world’s largest public broadcaster.
- In Africa the BBC reaches a weekly audience of more than 90 million people on Radio, TV,
- Digital, Mobile and Social Media. We broadcast to Africa in English, Hausa, Somali, French,
- Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili and Arabic.
- The BBC Hausa Service is the pre-eminent international broadcaster in the Hausa language with our teams based in London and Abuja. Broadcasting since 1957, the service now offers the most trusted Hausa news service on TV, radio, digital (bbchausa.com) and social media to our audiences in West Africa and the worldwide diaspora.
- In this role you’ll be leading the BBC Hausa digital effort. So we are looking for an experienced digital journalist to provide the creative leadership and vision needed to deliver a mobile, social and digital strategy which ensures that our editorial impact in Africa and beyond remains the best in the business.
- At the BBC you will be have a chance to work on ground-breaking content which will be seen and used by millions of people.
- We are looking for a senior digital journalist to shape digital editorial development and delivery across all our digital platforms and to help influence the growth of digital skills and approaches across BBC Hausa.
- You will oversee the development of BBC Hausa digital. As a senior member of the digital editorial team, you will help the service to build authentic connections between the BBC and its audience. You will curate the best visual stories for a global Hausa audience.
- As a digital champion you will liaise between the service and the wider BBC and communicate the BBC digital vision and industry developments to the department.
- You will be responsible for defining best practice on our social media accounts, as well as assessing our next move on social media platforms, and feeding into our evolving work on shortfrom content. You have dynamic ideas and have great connections in the digital industry in West Africa.
- You will be reporting to the Editor, BBC Hausa, with a dotted line report to the Digital Editor, BBC Africa.
- Your will be expected to cultivate relationships with the BBC Africa Planning teams and BBC News website teams to ensure that BBC Hausa Service digital content is effectively disseminated inside as well as outside the BBC.
Mobile First journalism:
- BBC Hausa thinks mobile first and you will be expected to use your extensive knowledge about the user experience to deliver exciting, visual journalism. You will responsible for ensuring we continue to deliver best practice. You will have ideas about the mixture of content, frequency, packaging and discoverability for the mobile audience.
- The BBC has been one of the global leaders in experimenting with the latest social and digital tools in journalism. We’re looking to you to help us continue our development but also push the innovation further; you’ll be expected to work with the Digital Editor, BBC Africa to identify the latest apps, trends and digital story treatments which BBC Hausa should be using. In this highly visible role you’ll be sharing your digital vision for the service with various key stakeholders.
- You will be expected to produce daily sharable content for online and social – including text stories, picture stories, videos and live pages. In order to do that you will have accurate editing and writing skills in Hausa and also be able to reversion English text into Hausa.
- Engagement on social and online is key for our relationship with the audience.
- We’re looking for someone who is connected to our core audience communities and will implement an imaginative engagement approach.
- Your plan is expected to consider how to gain new audiences ‘off-site’, and drive them back to our home page and stories.
- As a senior digital guru to the service, you will be a main point of reference for identifying training needs for your team and the department.
- To identify, develop and execute editorial opportunities involving social media across all platforms.
- To provide oversight of the accounts being provided by BBC Hausa’s social media service.
- To report regularly on performance with a clear focus on growing reach; reaching new audiences; spotting content opportunities to which we respond
- To assist in developing future strategies, including around new platforms and audience engagement
- Be advisor to all colleagues in the BBC Hausa Service on best practice in the use of digital tools.
We are looking for an exceptional digital journalist who has the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Significant recent experience as a digital journalist both in originating ideas and material and in editing the work of others.
- Demonstrable track record of imaginative and advance use of social media including a wide of range of platforms such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram and Twitter.
- Excellent Hausa and English language skills.
- Excellent news and editorial judgment.
- Video shooting and editing skills.
- Experience of managing digital communities and the ability to communicate diplomatically with audiences.
- Understanding and appreciation of the aims of the BBC World Service.
- Editorial Judgement - demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Strategic Thinking – Can identify a vision along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Imagination / Creative Thinking – Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Leadership – Ability to create a vision and inspire others to realise it irrespective of circumstances. Can demonstrate experience or ability of leading teams and able to develop collaborative relationships with other parts of the BBC.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Talent Management – Is able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Change Management - Can understand and anticipate the need for change. Builds frameworks to plan and manage the continuous process of change.
- Business Management – Is able to understand commercial imperatives and trading relationships, appropriately applies business principles in terms of costs, the market and added value.
- Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Self-Development – Is able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
- Understanding Diversity: You will understand diversity in its widest sense and appreciate the uniqueness of self and others, and how individual differences can benefit the BBC. You will demonstrate a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and take a balanced approach to discussing and taking action on diversity issues.
30th July, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more Information (Pdf)
- Senior Multi-Media Journalist, Digital at the BBC World Service
- Broadcast Journalist, BBC Hausa at the BBC World Service
- Reporter, Health at BBC World Service
- Broadcast Journalist (Multimedia), Health at the BBC World Service
- Journalist (Events Producer) at the BBC World Service
- Finance Assistant at BBC Media Action
- Web Developer at TVC Communications
- Online Video Editor at TVC Communications
- Client Service/ Account Manager at Pivotage Consulting
- Video Editor at CameraBoy Multimedia