Custom Search Search Technical Specialist 11 / Entomology Technical Manager at Abt Associates
- Post Date:December 5, 2017
Abt Associates – The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Technical Specialist 11 / Entomology Technical Manager
Req Id: 52788
- Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria
- Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
- Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
- Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Entomology Technical Manager provides leadership and management oversight of all of the project’s entomological surveillance activities in country, in collaboration with the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), coordinate and oversee the project’s key entomological monitoring activities for integrated vector control and will guide key project and country-level vector control decisions based on data analysis and interpretation.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Leads the development of national entomological monitoring plan in collaboration with National Malaria Control
- Program (NMCP), in country malaria vector control partners, research instituts, Universities ansd private sectors involved in malaria vector control.
- Prepare project comprahensive annual entomological monitroing plan.
- Reviews the content of communications materials for technical accuracy.
- Coordinate the implementation of the following set of entomological activities:
- The establishment entomological sentinel sites in selected district.
- Monitor vector density and behavior pre- and post-deployment of vector control interventions using World Health
- Organization (WHO) standard mosquito sampling methods
- Conduct wall bioassays within two weeks after every spray cycle and on new insecticide treated mosquito nets (ITNs) before distribution to evaluate the quality spray and products.
- Conduct wall bioassays monthly in selected districts to evaluate the residual efficacy of sprayed insecticides and bi-annually to evaluate insecticidal activity of ITNs.
- Monitor vector susceptibility tests to currently use and candidate insecticides on annual basis. Conduct intensity and synergist assays in sentinel sites selected for insecticide resistance monitoring.
- Work with identified entomology laboratories to facilitate the work and obtain result of molecular and bio-chemical analysis data
Assist in developing and updating standard operating procedures (SOPs) and checklists for mosquito collection techniques and disseminating to all in country partners.
Ensure avilability of susceptible mosquito colony to support qulaity assurance and susuceptibility tests in country.
Involve and lead the vector control (VC) technical working group at national level to help develop vector control policy and an insecticide resitance management strategy and plan
Train entomology technicians on maintaining mosquito colonies in an insectary, different field mosquito sampling techniques for both adult and larvae, on species identification, preserving, storing and transport of mosquito samples from the field to the insectary or entomological working sites.
Ensure that the field teams follow all WHO , CDC and PMI approved guidelines, protocols, and techniques for mosquito collections and tests.
Ensure that all data from all collection activities are recorded on data entry forms, perform mosquito identifications, and undertake data analysis and prepare monitoring reports.
Implement capacity-building efforts to increase and expand the skills of local counterparts and field team technicians.
Prepare semi-annual and annual entomological monitoring reports, vector control products and delivery quality assurance reports and insectcide resistanec reports.
Involve in vector contrrol operational resreach actvities.
Publish results from regular entomological monitorig and operational resreach actvtreoisn on pree-reviewed journal.
Prepare and present abtsracts in interbnational vector control and scientific conferences.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
20 years relevant experience, or: Bachelor’s Degree plus 15 years relevant experience, Masters Degree (desirable) plus 10 years relevant experience, or a Phd. And 8 years relevant experience.
Relevant professional work experience with significant amounts of experience directly in Vector Control and IRS Operations.
Experience in regulatory and operational aspects of insecticide use and management
Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members.
Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills.
Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable.
English language fluency.
(8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Related Jobs (15)
Coca-Cola Company Recruitment for Franchise Marketing Manager on December 5, 2017
Coca-Cola Company Recruitment for Business Unit Communications Manager on December 5, 2017
Abt Associates Fresh Job Recruitment (9 Positions) on December 5, 2017
Administrative Assistant 7 / Database Manager at Abt Associates on December 5, 2017
Office Assistant 3 at Abt Associates on December 5, 2017
Driver 3 at Abt Associates on December 5, 2017
Office Assistant 4 / Entomology Insectary Technician at Abt Associates on December 5, 2017
Project Assistant at Abt Associates on December 5, 2017
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation New Opportunity on November 26, 2017